Work with us in making a difference in the lives of the women at Next Step Ministries.
What We’re Looking For
Next Step Ministries (NSM) is a Christian organization based in Calgary, whose vision is for women to exit sexual exploitation and discover their identity. Partnering with churches, other agencies and the community, NSM is committed to walking alongside these women as they break the cycles of addiction and abuse. NSM provides outreach services, housing, day classes, and follow care support for women exiting sexual exploitation.
As a Live-In Volunteer, you will reside at Sparrow House having the privilege to walk alongside some of the most resilient and beautiful individuals. You will be a highly trustworthy volunteer providing relational support and stability to residents as each one of you go about your daily rhythms. Though this very involved position, you can expect opportunities to grow personally, an increased awareness and capacity to care for others well, and an incredible passion for justice that you may not even know was possible. You will report to the Housing Coordinator and receive consistent support, training and mentorship. This position operates on a flexible 6-month contract with the option for renewal.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and maintain a supportive roommate relationship with women living at Sparrow House;
- Build community and encourage a safe and stable home environment;
- Model a healthy lifestyle to residents while maintaining healthy boundaries;
- Maintain the confidentiality of the residents and the location of Sparrow House.
- Communicate with the Housing Coordinator about any questions or concerns regarding residents, maintenance, and safety-security of the house;
- Ensure the house rules are being followed by residents and report any incidents to staff as needed;
- Complete regular chart notes and housing reports as required;
- Ensure all residents are home by curfew;
- Ensure chores are complete;
- Perform random room checks regularly;
- Assist with intakes and exits as required;
- Facilitate weekly house meetings to check in how the house is functioning;
- Be attentive to the mental, emotional and physical safety of the participants in the home;
- Follow policy and procedures, communicate effectively with Day Program, Housing and On-call staff
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Love people
- Have attended NSM’s volunteer training;
- Ability to work independently
- Working knowledge of trauma informed care, addiction and sexual exploitation an asset -training available and encouraged around these topics;
- Experience with conflict resolution an asset;
- The Live-In Volunteer must keep all information regarding residents and the location of Sparrow House confidential;
- The Live-In Volunteeris provided with free rent and grocery gift cards as compensation for their time volunteering with NSM;
- The Live-In Volunteer has access to support 24/7 through available on call staff;
- The Live-In Volunteer may not invite friends, family, or romantic partners to the Sparrow House property under any circumstances. The location of Sparrow House must be kept strictly confidential;
- The Live-In Volunteer is encouraged to maintain their job or schooling and are not required to be onsite 24 hours a day. We do ask that you are home for curfew each night and home regularly enough for continuity of care as well as to build community and healthy relationships with the participants;
- The Live-In Volunteer must adhere to Next Step Ministries’ values, statement of faith, and code of conduct;
- The Live-In Volunteer must be willing to learn; including participating in educational opportunities;
- The Live-In must be able to work both individually and as a team
Please email Becky at email@example.com if you are interested in applying for this position.